A good hiking watch can be one of the best pieces of equipment to have by your side when you head out into the great unknown while exploring the world. A professional and fully-functional watch will be able to tell you kinds of information; all of which will be vital if you to perform to the best of your abilities.
Why is a Hiking Watch Necessary?
Perhaps the most important feature of a hiking watch, in addition to being able to tell you the elevation and altitude you’re at, how far you’ve walked, and facts like sunrise and sunset times, is the GPS feature.
This means you’ll be able to see exactly where you are at all times, where you’re going, and what’s around you. This is perfect for making sure you stay on track and don’t get lost, which of course has a huge benefit in terms of safety while you’re hiking.
If you’re looking for the best GPS watch for hiking, you’re in luck. We’ve searched far and wide and narrowed down what’s out there to just ten of the best, ensuring you can easily find the best GPS watch for hiking for you and your next adventures!
Top 10 Hiking Watches
#1 - TomTom Adventurer GPS Hiking & Trail Running Watch + Heart Rate Monitor
Our first chosen hiking watch is designed to be ideal for hiking and trail explorer, but also comes with a range of built-in features for running enthusiasts and those looking to track, monitor and improve their health.
- Works as a GPS sport watch and a portable music player
- Built-in 24/7 heart rate monitor
- Discover new routes thanks to the built-in GPS technology
- Fitness trackers including calorie/sleep/step counter
- Waterproof up to 40m
- Comes with a set of wireless headphones
- Multi-sport mode to track certain activities accurately
- The high-end price tag
#2 - Garmin epix TOPO U.S 100K
Garmin has always been a leader in the world of GPS technology, and the TOPO 100K GPS watch is a prime example of this. With a ton of features and functions, it’s no wonder so many people believe this is the best GPS hiking watch available.
- A beautiful 1.4-inch HD touchscreen
- Displays the map on your wrist in full-color
- Can expand the memory up with an 8GB memory card
- Can connect wirelessly to your smartphone for app access and internet
- Can receive app notifications, calls and SMS messages to your wrist
- A wide variety of data points monitored and displayed
- Only works in the US and Canada
#3 - DNTO.I Smart Watch with Built-In GPS Technology
If you’re looking for the best GPS watch for hiking that not only keeps your bank account healthy, but also comes with a range of smartwatch features to help improve all other aspects of your life, the DNTO.I is a great choice to be loved by many.
- Built-in Altimeter, barometer, and thermometer readings
- 24/7 heart rate monitor for activity/fitness and sleep tracking
- Comes with connectivity to a smartphone for app/SMS/call notifications
- Waterproof design to a rating of IP67
- Suitable design for men and women
- Standby mode battery life of 30 days
- The manual is hard to understand
- The app is poorly optimized on Android devices
#4 - Garmin Fenix 3 HR, Gray
The second Garmin entry to our list, this is one of the best GPS watch for hiking and for a good reason. Not only is this packed with every hiking-related feature you could ever want or need, this watch looks amazing and you’re sure to fall in love with it straight away.
- A beautiful 1.2-inch HD Chroma display
- Full activity and fitness tracking features (heart-rate monitoring)
- Incredible 40-hours battery life
- Waterproof up to 100m
- Luxurious silicone band for comfortable, lightweight feel
- Connect to Wi-Fi networks to keep your Garmin Online account synced and updated
#5 - Reabeam Hiking Smart Watch with GPS
The Reabeam best GPS watch for hiking is a great choice if you’re looking for something affordable and what looks good but still comes with an extensive range of features for tracking health and making the most of your outdoor adventures.
- Bright 1.2-inch LED screen
- Multi-mode activity tracking for accurate readings
- 15-day battery life in standby mode
- Available in multiple colors and designs
- Full charge in 2.5 hours
- Comes with a three-year warranty
#6 - Suunto Ambit3 Peak HR Running GPS Unit
The Suunto watch is a great choice if you’re looking for an awesome watch you’re going to fall in love with thanks to its sleek and professional design, in addition to its outstanding range of features. It’s easily one of our top choices as one of the best GPS watch for hiking.
- Built-in movie settings for recording your hikes
- Integrated barometer, altimeter and compass settings
- Outstanding 200-hour battery life on standby
- Built-in fitness tracker with a heart-rate monitor
- Available in two professional styles and designs
- Water-resistant up to 100 meters
- See all smartphone activity on the watch
- Pedometer not allowed to work in fitness modes
- May be too bulky for some people
#7 - Parnerme GPS Running/Hiking Watch with Activity Tracking
While this may not be the most well-known GPS hiking watch out there, it definitely packs a punch and stands proudly above many of the rest. It’s full of features that not only hikers will love, but all those looking to track and improve their general fitness levels.
- 1.3-inch HD touchscreen to operate
- Built-in heart-rate monitor for activity and sleep tracking
- Integrated temperature, height, and air pressure gauges
- Comes with an app to help you control and customize your GPS watch
- Available in three unique colors and designs
- App and connectivity compatible with both Android and iOS devices
- Normal watch use battery last 3-4 days
- Not a waterproof design
#8 - JIASD GPS Running & Hiking Watch with Extras
A very similar product to the DNTO.I GPS hiking watch we’ve listed above, but this one is hugely popular all over the world thanks to its collection of features and functions that are designed to improve the lives and adventures of anybody using the watch for any purpose.
- Built-in GPS technology for tracking your real-time movements and distance
- Integrated 24/7 heart rate monitoring for fitness tracking
- Six unique sports and activity modes to choose from
- Fantastic 1.3-inch HD touchscreen for super clear usage
- 3-5-day battery life in standby mode
- A ton of built-in apps like alarms, calculators, and memos
- Not a waterproof design
#9 - Suunto Traverse
The second Suunto GPS hiking watch to enter our list, there are so many positive attributes to this watch that it’s hard to know where to begin. With a clean and professional design, simple interface and powerful features, what more could you need?
- Built-in barometric features for predicting the weather on your hikes
- GPS timekeeping and all smartphone notifications through to your watch
- Follow your progress on-screen and accurately retrace your steps
- Five unique styles and designs to choose from
- Up to 100-hours battery life
- Gorgeous user interface
- Share your adventures with friends and community
#10 - Garmin Foretrex 401 Waterproof Hiking GPS
To finish off our list, we’ve chosen this highly dedicated GPS watch for hiking that it exactly that. This device cuts out your typical smartwatch features to purely provide a streamlined GPS experience.
- See all coordinates displayed on the screen
- Track your altitude easily
- Comes with trip computer/sunrise and sunset times, and hunting and fishing information
- Up to 17-hours battery life in GPS mode
- Track log of over 10,000
- Easy to read and simple LED screen
- An affordable price tag
- No smartphone notifications or functions
- Uses 2 AAA batteries
As you can see, there’s no denying just how many amazing GPS hiking watches there are out there to choose from. Fortunately, to make things easy for you, all ten of the watches above make ideal choices, so simply pick which one you feel is best for you and enjoy a highly exciting hiking adventure!