Golf isn’t all about hitting balls or how much time you’re spending on the course riding around on buggies; it’s about having fun and playing one of the most respected games in the world. It’s about companionship, competition, and having the best experience possible; something you can improve with a golf GPS tracking device.
Why It’s Necessary to Have Golf GPS Tracking Devices
If you’re an avid golf fan, you’ll already be well aware of how much time you can waste trying to remember your statistics, monitoring where you are on the range and remembering the par, green information and more, all while you’re trying to concentrate on playing.
While this can be extremely off-putting, a golf GPS tracking device can be a great way to simplify your game; allowing you to program everything, track your location and display all your course information in the palm of your hand, giving you far more time to sit back and enjoy the round of golf you’re playing.
If you’re interested in one of these fine devices, then you’re in luck. After exploring a ton of available GPS tracking devices, we've managed to narrow the selection down to just ten of the best, helping you to find the one that’s right for you easily!
#1 - Izzo Golf Swami 5000 Golf GPS Rangefinder
To kickstart our list, we’ve opted for one of the most popular golf GPS tracking devices of all time, the Swami 5000. This device comes with a range of features to ensure every one of your future golfing experiences is the best it can be.
- Comes preloaded with over 30,000 golf courses around the world
- Displays distances throughout each golf course and hole
- Integrated scoreboard feature to save and review scores
- Durable and waterproof design for maximum durability
- Can be charged using a magnetic charger
- See everything through a large 2-inch screen
- No monthly or annual purchases required
- Supports four different languages
- Not a universal charger (USB)
- No internet connection while you’re out and about
#2 - GolfBuddy Voice GPS
Next up, we’ve chosen a simplistic GPS golf tracker that provides you all the distance information you need to know via a digital voice, so you can simply keep it in your pocket and can fully concentrate on your game.
- Tells you how far away the hole is from you within a meter accuracy
- Comes preloaded with over 35,000 courses
- Can measure how far your shot went from the last shot
- 8 languages built into the device
- A really affordable solution
- Rechargeable batteries included
- Simplistic and easy to use design
#3 - Bushnell Phantom Golf GPS
Bushnell is another super-simplistic design that effortlessly keeps you informed on how far the hole is away from you in both a voice and digital screen format to give you everything you need to perform your best.
- Simple voice and LED digital screen display
- Rechargeable battery with over 10 hours on a single charge
- Over 40,000 maps pre-installed
- Can update maps on the fly using a Bluetooth connection
- Comes with a strong magnet to connect to the cart or pull carts
- Available in a variety of colors and styles
- Can mark up to four hazards per hole
- Doesn’t come with an attachment clip (only magnet)
#4 - Garmin Approach 30 Golf Handheld GPS
While this is one of the more expensive options on our list, it’s also one of the most feature-packed and is the perfect GPS tracking choice for any golfer who’s looking for the best, most detailed and most entertaining golfing experience.
- Sleek design; complete with a 2.3-inch touchscreen
- Full-colour Touch Targeting System to accurately convey distances to you
- Can custom drop the pin for the best accuracy while playing
- Capable of displaying scores, greens, hazards, and doglegs
- Comes preinstalled with over 40,000 worldwide courses
- Can be easily operated with one hand
- Can be paired with TruSwing Club attachments
- 15-hour battery life and can send and receive SMS messages and calls from your phone
- A more expensive solution
#5 - GolfBuddy Voice 2 Golf GPS/Rangefinder
As the title suggests, this is the next version up from the GolfBuddy Voice unit we’ve listed above. This time, there are multiple versions available and an improved green view with more accurate distances; although the device is slightly more expensive.
- Can tell you the distances of the front/center/backs of the green
- Gives you readings from the golfer’s perspective
- Comes with a 1-year warranty
- Talks to you so you don’t have to look at the device
- Increased battery life from the last model
- Water-resistant design
- The slightly premium price tag
- Doesn’t having a score-keeping feature
#6 - Garmin Approach X40 GPS Golf Band and Activity Tracker
What we love the most about this device is the fact that it combines everything we love about golf GPS trackers and then merges that with all the powerful features and functions of a fitness and activity tracker, giving you the best of all modern technology directly on your wrist.
- Highly accurate GPS receiver to show greens, hazards, doglegs and even under tree cover
- Auto-shot recording and built-in round analyzer
- 24/7 heart monitoring and fitness/activity tracker
- Up to 10-hours battery life in GPS mode
- Available in multiple sizes and designs
- A rechargeable battery included
- Connects to your phone and the designated app via Bluetooth
- The premium price tag
#7 - Garmin 010-01959-00 Approach G10 Handheld Golf GPS
If you’re looking for the perfect balance between a Garmin golf watch and one of the affordable yet highly accurate handheld devices we’ve listed above, there won’t be any reason to look further than Garmin’s handheld contender.
- Displays everything; including greens, doglegs, water hazards, etc.
- Can customize the pin drop using Green View for higher accuracy if required
- Sleek and compact design to fit into your pocket
- Over 40,000 courses installed ready to use
- Free course updates for life
- Built-in digital scoreboard feature
- 15-hour battery life
- Only a keyring holds to connect the device to anything
- A lot simpler than other devices on this list
#8 - Garmin Approach G8 Golf Course GPS Tracker
The penultimate Garmin golf product we’ve chosen today takes a very luxurious take of golf GPS trackers and gives you a very clear and precise experience which is very different to beat, although you are paying for the highest quality experience.
- Easy to use the device with clear and concise button layout and touchscreen
- Connects to Garmin Online community to share scores and statistics
- Auto-updates and adds maps when they’re released using Wi-Fi
- Comes with over 30,000 courses preloaded and ready
- Large 3-inch full-color touchscreen
- Blind-shot assist feature
- A rechargeable battery with over 15-hours battery life
- The premium price tag
- Plastic case can scratch easily
#9 - Izzo Swami Sports Golf GPS Tracker
Our second entry from Izzo, this version of the Izzo Golf GPS tracker is great if you’re looking for a handy GPS tracker that doesn’t come with the restrictions of needing to pay a monthly contract or download fees.
- Displays front/center/back distances throughout a green
- A large 1.8-inch display
- Displays hole number/par/time
- One-off payment and then use forever
- Easy to carry in your pocket or using a carabiner clip
- Auto-detects the course and hole you’re playing on
- Only one color design available
- The screen can crack easily
#10 - Garmin Approach S10 - Lightweight GPS Golf Watch
With this final Garmin product, you’ll be able to enjoy all the benefits of a Garmin Golf GPS tracker, all from the handy position of your wrist. This watch comes with everything you need in a convenient package.
- Comes with a built-in scoreboard feature
- Over 41,000 preinstalled courses come with the watch
- Stay connected to Garmin Express online services
- Displays all golf-related information you need to know
- A simple and easy-to-use watch
- High-resolution display with anti-sun glare design
- Battery lasts around 12 hours in GPS mode
While there are plenty of golf GPS trackers and devices out there, any of the top ten products we’ve listed above make the ideal choice if you’re looking for quality, performance, and affordability. All of these will enhance your golf performance and ensure you can take your game to the next level.